Formative Assessment with Elimination Example

I'm a big believer in formative assessment.  One of the activities that I found to be the most effective was my One Problem At A Time activity.  You can read more about that here, but I'll give you a quick run down.  

One At A Time Activity:
Before class I would create (or find) problems that assessed if the students have mastered the learning objectives.  The problems would progressively get more challenging and I would print/copy one problem per piece of small paper.  The students would be given only one problem at a time.  As they finished a problem, they would come to me to get it checked.  If they were correct, they received the next problem.  If they were incorrect, I would give some feedback and send them back to their seat.  

You can image how chaotic that activity was.  For the unmotivated student, they realized how easy it was to do nothing during that class because I was so busy.  For many students, they spent the majority of the class period standing in line.  

However, there are elements of this activity that I love and want to keep.  Such as seeing each student one-on-one and giving personal feedback to each student.  This just needs an upgrade really, not a delete key.  

It seems obvious in retrospect, but why only one problem at a time, why not a few problems at a time?  I no longer go by count of problems, but I base it more on type of question and time.  


Updated Activity:


I learn best by seeing an example, so I created one for you.  The topic: Solving Systems of Linear Equations by Elimination.  


I decided that I would have 4 levels of problems and that if they can complete two of that type with ease, then they're ready for the next level.

Level 1:
The system is all set up for them.  All they need to do is add them together.

Level 2:
One equation needs to be multiplied by -1.

Level 3:
One equation needs to be multiplied by an integer.

Level 4:
Both equations need to be multiplied by an integer.


How it Works:

  • Give each student a copy of the level 1 problems.  I give them all 1A.  Students only receive more problems when they have mastered the ones they currently have.  
  • If a student was able to complete the problems for 1A, but could use some more practice, give him 1B.  It's the same type of problem, just more of them.  Otherwise, give them 2A.  NOTE - the B set of problems are only for students who may need a little more practice before moving to the next level.  
  • On each sheet of paper there is a checklist of green, yellow, and red.  That is for student-self assessment.  Before they come to you for feedback, they should check one of those colors on how they feel about the problems on that page.  Green means "I understand this."  Yellow means "There are some things I'm not sure about."  Red means, "I don't understand these problems."


Tips on Organization:

  • Print each problem on a different color paper.  It's just a way to visually see what problem the students are working on.  It also makes sorting the different papers easier when you go to use the activity again next year.  And binder clips, definitely binder clips.
  • Create a spreadsheet of the class roster and the levels.  I don't care if you use digital or analog.  As the students complete each level of problems, put a checkmark in the appropriate cell.  If you notice a student has no checkmarks or is falling behind, invite them to sit next to you :)   At the end of class you'll have a nice little summary of how the students did that day.  
  • If you have a para-educator in your room, take advantage!!  Give him/her a copy of the answer key and put the spreadsheet between you.  You just doubled your effort.
  • For any students who didn't get as far as you like, give them a pass to come back for additional help if this is possible.  
  • Don't be afraid to ask your high-flyers to assist you as well.  They can work as a para, or also be given a pass to help later with struggling students.  
  • Have something ready for early-finishers.  


Comments

  1. Hi! I do lots similar to this, but I like the "few-ness" of the problems. I did try to get to the file, but the link seems to not be working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fixed the link. I'm not sure how I managed to mess that up. Ha!

      Delete

Post a Comment