Can I Do 10 Pull-ups by the End of the School Year?

This idea just popped into my head and I need to flesh it out here.  Please comment with your input.

I really want to create a classroom that is safe for mistakes.  I think the best way to get the students on board is for them to see the teacher (me) try to reach a goal and make mistakes along the way.  Every year I say "This classroom is a safe place to make mistakes." but I rarely show them any of my failures and mistakes....I talk about them, but that's not the same.

What if....

...I create a goal that I want to reach by the end of the school year?  Each month I can share my progress with the students so they can see what a growth mindset looks like.  ???

Here's my first idea:  I really want to be able to do 10 pull-ups/chin ups.  When I was in high school we were tested every year with how long we could hold our chin above a bar.  I lasted about 5 seconds.  Every year after these tests I would tell myself to practice over the following year so I could do better next time.  That never happened.

The students would be able to see my successes and failures and my reaction to both throughout the year.  And by the end of the school year if I'm still not able to do 10 pull-ups, that will be okay too.  Trying and failing is acceptable.  Not trying and failing is not.




But I'm Scared...

I suppose this is how some of my students feel about coming to the front of the room to complete a math problem.  What if they laugh at me or are negative about it?

  • HAHAHA  Mrs. Oswald can't even do one pull-up.  
  • OMG! Look at how flabby her arms are. 
  • Why does she even bother, she'll never be able to do it?
  • She's just looking for attention.  

Seriously, my heart is racing just thinking about it.  Maybe that's exactly why I should do this....or not.  Please I need your advice.  Do you think this is something that will benefit my students?

Comments

  1. I think this is an AWESOME idea! I look forward to what other teachers think as possible ways to do this. I like that your idea is something outside your normal reach, and it is very visible for the students.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment