Cell Phones In The Classroom

First, watch this:



My first reaction to cell phones in the classroom was that they are a powerful tool.  And really, what's the harm if they have their cell phones on them as long as they don't use them at inappropriate times?  Shouldn't I be teaching my students when it's appropriate to use a cell phone and when it isn't?   Obviously, there is harm and yes I do need to teach them appropriate use. 

Once we became a one-to-one school district I tried to crack down on cell phone usage.  If I saw a cell phone, it was MINE!  That was exhausting!  Then students got tricky about it and would place their calculators in their lap so I would think it was their cell phone.  They got a big kick out of proving me wrong.  It was embarrassing and awkward.  There has to be a better way. 

When we administer the state test, students are required to hand in their cell phones and smart watches during the exam.  Almost every single student complies.  I've been wanting to do this in my classroom but I was afraid that I didn't have the right to take a student's cell phone, especially if they weren't using it inappropriately. 

I had a discussion with my department and we decided to go for it.  Every student would be required to place their cell phones in their assigned pocket at the beginning of class for every math class.  Every. Single. Day.  Students wouldn't be allowed to take back their cell phone until the teacher gave permission. 


We started this on day 1 of school and most students complied.  The understanding the students and I had was that if I saw a cell phone during class, the punishment would be severe.  Then they tested me, of course, and we're back to square one.  It was so bad that in one class not a single student would put their cell phone in their assigned pocket.  No one wanted to be the teacher kiss-butt who followed that rule.

I needed a new plan.  I decided that instead of punishing those who didn't follow the rule, I would reward those who did.  I needed to make it okay (and not uncool) to follow this rule, so bonus points it is.  Before you judge me (like I did), the points are minimal compared to their actual grade.  For instance, a student could increase their quarter grade by 3% by complying.  But, they will increase their quarter grade and knowledge by so much more by getting separation from their smart devices.  I felt it was worth it.  

Everyday at the beginning of class I place a checkmark next to each student's name if they handed over their cell phone.  At the end of the week, I count up those checkmarks and put those bonus points in the grade book.  

I've been doing this for about 4 weeks now and everything is running smoothly.  It has even alleviated some of the restroom issues: students aren't leaving the room as often to use the restroom.  My assumption is because they can't take their phones with them, so now they can't text (or whatever) in the bathroom anymore.  

I realized it wasn't fair for those students who don't own a cell phone.  Apparently this isn't the case because every single student is putting their cell phones in the pockets.  However, I will give the bonus to anyone who does not have a cell phone on them during class.  I don't care if their cell phone is at home, in their car, in the pocket I provide, or if they don't own one, they still get the bonus.  They simply need to tell me (in private if necessary) that they don't have a phone.  

Overall my classes run smoother.  The students are less distracted by their phones, I am less distracted with trying to catch them with their phones.  I'd say we're happier (and smarter).  




Comments