Watch What You Say

I don't know why, but lately I've been thinking about things that have happened in my classroom in the past in an attempt to learn and move forward.




Student talking at inappropriate times drives me crazy.  One of my favorite sayings is, "Please be quiet."  Just this past year I had to keep repeating this to one particular student.  Please be quiet, please be quiet, please be quiet.  Finally, I asked him why he wouldn't be quiet when I directly asked him multiple times.  He response?  "I am talking quietly".

He got me.  You could tell by his reaction that he was clearly surprised by my anger.  I asked him to be quiet, not to stop.  I need to watch what I say.

Comments

  1. Reckon you could say what a band member has been known to say before doing a quiet number: "Put your lips together and listen..." ... or not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a great poster on Pinterest a couple of year ago that was the "teacher's definition of talking." https://www.pinterest.com/pin/185914290837987336/
    My coworkers and I were so frustrated that when we said, "Please stop talking," noise continued, but we learned we weren't saying the right thing either. You're not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, children are so literal. I may have to make a poster like that for my classroom.

      Delete

Post a Comment