No More Excuses: I Can't Take the Test Today, I Was Absent Yesterday

I cannot tell you how much I love standards-based grading.  So many problems have not only been solved but ELIMINATED!  I'm so happy to report that this excuse is gone with SBG.

Don't get me wrong, I still hear it, but it no longer turns into a major battle.  Just last week and student told me he couldn't take the test because he wasn't here the day before for the review.  I have two options here.  Let me rephrase that, the student has two options here.

  1. He can take the test anyway.  This way he can at least see what it looks like and use it as his own formative assessment to see what he needs to review.  As you know with SBG he can take a different version of the test at a later time.  As many times as he likes.
  2. He can use this time to look over his notes to prepare for the test that he will take at a later time.  
I hear horror stories from other teachers who have gotten into battles with students and their parents about this issue.  Even dragging the administration in on it.  So, if you're not using SBG yet, what are you waiting for?

Comments