Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Insane Asylum: Making the Irrational Rational

Every summer I attend the Edugaming Workshop that is hosted by the local community college.  Each year I learn something new and am given the motivation to create another game for my classroom.

Displaying IMG_0146.JPG


The two professors that run the workshop challenge us to create a game with the following constraints.
  • The game has to be your own, meaning that we can't partner up to create one game together, but of course we can offer each other ideas.  
  • The game cannot be quiz based.  In other words, you can't have a game where if a player answers a question correct, then they get to do something in the game.
  • The game must be closely tied to a story.  No abstract games.
  • The game must be original.  I can't take Sorry and turn it into a math game.
  • We are required to pre- and post-test the students to see if there is any change in the students' knowledge.  
  • I guess this one's obvious, but the game needs to be educational.  

I was going to wait until the game was completely finished to share it here, but that's silly.  I could be getting your feedback and suggestions.  In Insane Asylum the players are a group of doctors working together to help cure their patients of being insane.

The objective is for students to be able to simplify radicals.  (I thought I was overdue to create a game with this objective since it is the name of my blog).  For the most part my student can simplify sqrt(12) with little difficulty.  However they struggle with sqrt(6) * sqrt(15) because they don't see any 'pairs'.  Hopefully this game with help them factor the numbers and then look for pairs.

I created a video to show you how the game works so far.  Your feedback is greatly appreciated and welcome!


The Materials:


  • The game board
  • 4 pawns (red, yellow, green, and blue)
  • Cards:  4 of each (bed #1 - bed #12, and straight jacket)
  • Player Cards 
  • List of Actions
  • Potions: 6 of each (2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 6, 10, 14, 22, 15, 21, 33, 35, 55, 77) Yellow circles, numbers on both sides.
  • Patients: 2 of each (6, 10, 14, 22, 15, 21, 33, 35, 55, 77, 30, 42, 66, 70, 110, 154, 105, 165, 231, 385) Green circles, number on one side.
  • Prime Numbers: 9 of each (2, 3, 5, 7, 11) Pink circles, numbers on both sides.
  • Card Chart







Game Set Up:









Game Play:



1 comment:

  1. This looks really cool, looking forward to testing it with my class when we get to this topic! Keep these games coming!

    ReplyDelete